10 Things You Should Know About Cats Before Taking One Home
Cats make great pets. They’re nowhere near as loud as dogs and they can curl up in your lap, helping you to relax after a hard day. If you are thinking of getting a cat here are some things that you need to know before you make that decision.
1. This Is a Lifetime Commitment. Cats can live up to 20 years. If you get a little tabby please understand that this is going to be a relationship that will span a lot of time.
2. Have Your Cat Neutered or Spayed? Stray cats are a major problem in a number of neighborhoods. The breeding will result in a number of feral cats who live off your garbage can. Spaying a cat can be a healthy operation
3. Leave The Claws On. Declawing a cat takes away its front-line defense and is a painful operation for the little kitty. A better alternative is to clip the nails on a periodic basis.
4. You Need a Scratching Post. The scratching helps a cat keep its paws in good condition. The post should be fairly tall and a little bit of catnip sprinkled over it encourages the cat to use it.
5. Have a Room for The Cat. This doesn’t mean having a room with a lock on it, but rather a place where few people go in so your cat can use it just to get away from it all.